Back during the conference that CD PROJEKT RED held back in June, there was talk of a card game embedded in the upcoming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. At Gamescom they have revealed Gwent, the fast-paced card game that will be playable within the main game across every major platform.
Invented by dwarves and perfected over centuries of tavern table play, Gwent is a game of initial simplicity and ultimate depth, something beloved by both road-weary travelers during long nights around the campfire and elegant nobles looking to liven up dragging dinner parties. Below is the key features of this card game:
- Over 150 unique playing cards
- 4 distinct factions: the mighty and cunning Nilfgaardian Empire, the brave Northern Realms and their siege weapons, the agile and devious Scoia’tael, and the brutal monsters of No Man’s Land.
- Powerful spells allow players to control the weather and affect units on the battlefield.
- An array of combat styles caters to individual playstyles: close range with heavy knights, long range with skilled archers or artillery with powerful siege weapons.
- Powerful hero cards, unique to each faction.
And as can be seen from the above image, the Xbox One version is being bundled with a physical version of the card game as a collector edition. Below is now the revised content of the edition:
- The standard edition of the game, containing: the official soundtrack, a beautiful and detailed map of the in-game world, unique stickers, and the developer-created “Witcher Universe – The Compendium”
- A giant, 33x24x26 cm, 100% hand painted, Polystone figure of Geralt of Rivia battling a Griffin
- An exclusive, collector grade Witcher medallion
- A one of a kind SteelBook™
- A two-hundred page artbook, containing breathtaking art from the game
- A cloth map of the game world
- Two Gwent card decks
- Huge outer and inner Collector’s Boxes you can store your Witcher merchandise in!
The game itself will be released 24 February 2015 and will be available on PS4, Xbox One and PC.