If you were ever into your table top gaming then you probably have heard of the series Warhammer 40,000. So moving into the video gaming market was always going to be the next step. Over the last few years there have been many games released under the Warhammer 40,000 licence and some have not always done justice to this great sci-fi universe series. Space Hulk: Deathwing was released back in December 2016 on PC only and had a few issues, so now they have addressed these issues with this new enhanced version.
Developer: Struem On Studio
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
Genre: Action, Adventure
Release Date: 22 May 2018
Thanks to the publishers for the review code.
Space Hulk: Deathwing Enhanced Edition is an updated version of the original game. It was a First Person Shooter in which you controlled a team of Space Marines that had the job of taking on aliens and corrupted mutants that was causing havoc. The action took place on giant spaceships the size of cities, down in vaults which were full of pits and gave you an overall sense of dread. Teamwork was the key to overcome these deadly foes and save the universe.
The new enhanced edition has been released to fix some of the issues that were present in the original game. The multiplayer was not very exciting or rewarding and after a few games online it would quickly become boring and made you not want to return to it. In the 2018 title this has now been addressed and there is now a full player progression and rewards for each mission you complete. As well as levelling up, you earn Renown, the currency of the game to buy new stuff and customise your existing weapons.
There are now six classes to choose from and below is a brief breakdown of each class, including the new Chaplin one:
- The Librarian – Might only have limited weapons, but makes up for this with the abilities to use fire, lightning and telekinetic powers.
- Heavy Weapons Speciality – A Terminator that beings the heavy guns to your party like an assault cannon.
- Assault Speciality – This Terminator is very handy to have in your team as his Melee attacks are unrivalled.
- Apothecary – This is your healer, so he is a must to have in your squad if you want to survive the various missions.
- Tactical Speciality – A Terminator that can bring people back from the dead and also unlock the Spear of Caliban weapon.
- The Chaplin – This new class in the enhanced edition will bring the ability of protecting his team by using his big power mace.
The final great addition to this new version is the Special Missions game mode. In this you manage to go back and play the levels from the campaign mode in multiplayer or solo and get to enjoy them all over again as now the mission objectives will change from the original playthough. Unlike the original game this new mode adds a lot more replayability to the game. There were a few framerate issues in this PS4 version, but nothing that will ruin the gameplay.
Space Hulk: Deathwing Enhanced Edition takes what was a good game and turns it into a real Warhammer 40,000 experience. The new class and additional game mode brings a lot of replayability to this game and also with the multiplayer now better, grab a few friends and enjoy this team-based shooter. You will not be disappointed.